Translate

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

martial arts

It turns out I've been a martial artist for 30 years. Started out as soldier in the US Army; very martial and artistic. Once done with that I became a deputy sheriff. Concerned with apprehension and not doing harm to suspects I started to learn Judo. That lead to me becoming a defensive tactics instructor at the local police academy. I had a good run of several years and trained many of those who became my superiors in my agency. I even had the pleasure of my Sheriff do a ride along with me. In the mean time I was able to learn from a world renown master, Bo Sayoc, and have him at my 40th birthday party which was a surprise as it was on our regular training day. At the end of training that day he asked me to stay a little longer for advanced training which I readily agreed. It was a set up so when I got home everyone else including my training partners were at my house. It is a day I'll never forget. Bo died in 2007 unbeknownst to me because he had moved back to his homeland in the Phillipines. About a month after that I won the title of 2007 Combat Conditioning Athlete of the Year from Matt Furey another mentor and martial art instructor. I dedicate that title to Bo Sayoc who took me in and instructed me as one of his own. I will never forget him and cherish the time we had together until the day I die and maybe after if all goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment